Monday, August 2, 2021

Some garden stuff. Deal with it.




Here's my summer savory. It's very difficult to get a decent picture of. It's a beautiful airy little plant that sends up long, long stems with small leaves and tiny beautiful purple flower but manages to stay up right and just looks so fairy like and lovely in real life but trying to get a picture to do it justice was impossible. for me anyway. 

Bzzzz.

We didn't plant our own sunflowers this year, but some came up nonetheless. We planted some the past two years and got some volunteers this year. This one is by the back porch, not much higher than the railing. It was a dwarf variety. The honeybees like it very much.





Another volunteer in back of the house, where we planted traditional sunflowers two years ago, and it' is a MONSTER. The stalk is nearly as big as my wrist at the base and look how tall it is, hovering well over the gutters of the garage behind it. I don't know if any pollinators are visiting it because it's too damn tall. It's doing quite well. The cucumbers next to it...not so much. A bummer, they did much better last year.


On the top (or left): That's the delicate little flowers of the dill plant, this particular plant is not very...."leafy? When you see fresh dill bunches at the market they have lots of feathery, er, leaves. I don't know what else to call them. I have yet to grow any dill that looks like the feathery bunches in the market and I want to know why. It's probably variety, but I've tried several varieties now and haven't found one yet. I will though!

And on the bottom (or right) is Sweet Thai basil gone to flower, which it did stunningly quickly.




And we'll finish up with this beauty, this is an ornamental pepper call black pearl. Isn't it just a stunner? I love it, I want to save some of the seeds to see if I can grow my own next year, for borders. I think it would make an interesting contrast with my creeping jenny up front, or even in a container with dwarf Alaska nasturtiums.






No comments:

Post a Comment