Sunday, July 28, 2013

Friday 5: At the movies. I know it's Sunday, shut up.


From the good people at Friday 5.  This one is especially suited to me, I adore going to the movies, it’s a very special thing for me. I love going alone. I love going with my sons. I love standing in line anticipating the show, reading the posters for the other movies. I like the horrible popcorn. I never buy the overpriced candy there though, we always go to the Walgreens first and get candy there and sometimes our drinks too if its wintertime and we have plenty of pockets in which to stash them.
This was super quick to type up so it’s an apology for the previous boring, short entry.
1.       Where in the theater do you like to sit when you’re at the movies?
When I was a child I loved the front row, gods know why. You certainly can’t see properly up there. Maybe because I was and kid and short and didn’t want people blocking my view.

When I’m with the boys we usually sit about the middle of the theater, but I have to have the seat on the end of the row, next to the aisle. I don’t like feeling hemmed in and I usually have to go to the bathroom at least once during the movie, dangit.

When I go by myself I sit in the very back row on the aisle. Most people don’t like to sit back there, so I have a large area to myself and if I do have to use the bathroom it’s quick to get out and back again.

2.      What characteristics does the ideal movie companion have?
I really enjoy going to the movies with my son, DB. We like a lot of the same type of movies, sometimes for the same reasons and sometimes for different reasons. We have great talks afterwards about the movie itself, the genre, the movie business, what we’d do different if we were in charge, the historical accuracy of the movie.  An ideal movie companion for me is someone who will discuss the movie afterward with me with as much enthusiasm as my own. DB wants to be an actor and he’s scary smart too.

3.      What memory do you have of things not going quite as usual at the movies?
The re-release of Star Wars on the big screen. I was too young to see it the first time. By the time The Empire Strikes Back came out I was a definite geek girl fan. I stood in a line around the building to see that one.  So when Star Wars was rereleased in the theaters I was really, really excited. Ridiculously excited.

I don’t remember what year that was, but DB was quite small, maybe one or two? We went as a family. Usually DB was pretty okay in the theater, falling asleep during the movie. But not this time. He started to fuss and fuss. He didn’t want his Dad. I couldn’t let him bother the other movie patrons who had also, I’m sure, been ridiculously excited to see Star Wars on the big screen. So I had to take DB out in the hall and walk him up and down, let him toddle and tire himself out. He finally fell asleep. I didn’t miss the whole movie, but missed a few classic scenes. DB is mightily embarrassed about this now, being a big ol’ sci-fi geek himself.
4. What are your feelings about commercials and movie previews playing before the film you’re there to see?

I don’t mind them a bit. I really like the previews (MORE movies to plan to watch!) and with the commercials added in, it gives you extra time before the movie if you’re a bit late because of traffic or what have you.

5.      Who is an actor or director whose involvement in a film is enough to make you want to see it?
M. Night Shamaylan. Shut up, I like him. Robert Downey, Jr. Ridley Scott. Tommy Lee Jones is usually good in anything. Angelina Jolie.

Thanks for participating, and have a reel good weekend!

 

1 comment:

  1. TLJ...I could listen to him talk all day long. I just adore him.

    ReplyDelete