Thursday, July 18, 2013

Time doth flit; oh, shit.

UPDATE: February 8, 2014 I have had several visitors from different countries find this entry when searching on Google for the meaning of "Time doth flit; oh, shit."


It means, "goddamnit time got away from me again." Sort of...just like it sounds.


It can also have a deeper meaning...time slipping away from you and you haven't done anything substantial with your life or yourself. You let potential slip away. You lost your chance to make something of yourself.

But I usually just use it to mean I've let myself become distracted again.


It's a quote from Dorothy Parker, poet and author of many short stories. Also a founding member of the Algonquin Round Table, aka The Vicious Circle.
"After World War I, Vanity Fair writers and Algonquin regulars Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley, and Robert E. Sherwood began lunching at The Algonquin. In 1919, they gathered in the Rose Room with some literary friends to welcome back acerbic critic Alexander Woollcott from his service as a war correspondent. It proved so enjoyable that someone suggested it become a daily event. This led to a daily exchange of ideas, opinions, and often-savage wit that has enriched the world's literary life. George S. Kaufman, Heywood Broun, and Edna Ferber were also in this August assembly, which strongly influenced writers like F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway. Perhaps their greatest contribution was the founding of The New Yorker magazine, which today is free to guests of the hotel." - The Round Table, The Algonquin Hotel

___________________________________________________________________________



It is one of those mornings where time just gets away from me. I was up at 5:45 am, now suddenly it's 7:21 am and I have to get ready for work.

Note to self: Do not start reading Cracked.com articles in the morning. You will never get any work done because you will always want to chase down the interesting links.

So...last week, when I was packing up the last of the books at the apartment, I came across my copy of A Clockwork Orange. I thought DB, being the vaguely counterculture, rabble rousing 18 year old that he is, might want it.

Me - "Bub! Have you read A Clockwork Orange?"

DB - "Not yet. I've been meaning to."

Me - "Here, you can have this copy."

Dexter (older brother) - "Hey, I'd like to read that too."

DB - Hands the book to his brother, "you can read it first. Just give it back when you're done."

Yep. Those are MY kids!!

This story sounded far more hilarious in my head, but I'm out of time. So here's a picture of DB attending a district 300 school board meeting a few years ago, to join his fellow Youth Labor Committee friends in protesting the proposed severe budget cuts.


Comrade Drakon Mal'chika

No comments:

Post a Comment