Friday, August 30, 2013

Couch to 5K – Week 4, Day 3

First thing to note…I went out late today. On purpose, thinking I might like a later start time, but I did not enjoy it. Not doing that again.

Late for me means I went out at 7:45 am instead of 6:15 am. Do you know what is out there an hour and half later?
The sun. And people. Shudder.
The sun was well above the horizon. It’s the brightness that bothers me, not the heat. Yo, Helios, could you get your effin’ spotlight off me? I’m going blind here. Thanks. And what the hell are all these people doing out here in my space? 
And Helios replied, "Bitch, don't make me go medieval on your ass."
Picture credit: NASA



 “All these people” consists of maybe six or seven more cars passing me, two old guys riding around leisurely on their bikes, and various and sundry children walking and biking to the elementary and middle schools. No one actually spoke to me or got closer to me than about five feet, but their mere presence in my field of vision was annoying. I think I’m past introvert and into misanthrope territory with this attitude. Live and let live! Just don’t do it when I’m out on my run.
 
DIS MAH ROAD! YOU NO BE HERE!
Picture from: Chicago On The Aisle
 
I remembered to drink water and eat before I went out, so I did not splatter myself on the wall of exhaustion.  The second run segment (five minutes) felt really good: good breathing, warm muscles, only a bit of pulling in my shins. It felt sustainable. In those moments I felt like I might have been able to keep going at that pace for a mile. I didn’t do that though; I’m sort of terrified of breaking training and pushing myself into injury. A two mile non-stop run is scheduled for day three of week five. That’s next Thursday. It can wait.  Slow and steady wins the race (with myself).
Googling turtle tiger netted me this. Turtle tiger is an actual thing.
It's a sculpture named Tiger and Turtle and you can walk on it. It's in Germany.
picture credit: World Landscape Architecture 
 
 
Inner Bitch has dialed her attitude back a lot lately. Mostly she’s just trying to get me to do stuff I shouldn’t. She’s not Inner Bitch anymore so much as Inner Rebel. This I can handle. This is somewhat productive. Inner Rebel wants to run up Hwy 23. No. It’s too far. I will wear myself out and it will take gods know how long to limp home. I have chores to do today and I have to go to work tonight. Inner Rebel wants to run on that trail cutting through the field when I’m almost home. No, that is in the opposite direction of the house. I have laundry to do. Another day I will run on the trail. The trail is not going to disappear.

So now I have to eat something else, because I’m STARVING. And I have to do the laundry and yay! I have the latest episode of Copper saved to watch!

3 comments:

  1. There are SOME people I enjoy seeing on the trail. The woman who runs with her Aussie shepherd and the two older couples. It makes me happy seeing each couple walking, talking, and sometimes holding hands. But everyone else, I'd really rather not share with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly of me to be so possessive of the entire outdoors, but there it is.

      Delete
  2. Do yourself a favor and try to get a 2:1 ratio of carbohydrates:protein within 30-60 minutes of a run. It significantly improves your recovery and helps you repair any damage you did on your run.

    ReplyDelete